Monday, January 20, 2014

Miss Short Begins Her Last Practicum



This week I began my last semester of practicum...this is crazy talk!!! Even though it has taken me quite some time to come to the end of my schooling, I am grateful the experience of working in so many classrooms!  I am nervous to begin student teaching next semester, but I am soooooo ready to be teaching my own kiddos.

This semester I am given the opportunity to work in a third grade classroom and in a resource classroom, within two different schools, districts, and teachers. It definitely keeps me busy, and on my toes with so many students to keep track of. 

Thursday, I met my third grade mentor and students after lunch. As soon as walked in I was already interacting with the students. Normally on the first day of practicum, I observe in the back, while the students stare at me, trying to figure out who the weird lady is in the classroom. My mentor asked me to come to the front of the classroom and explain who I was, and what I will be doing in their classroom this year. After I gave a brief bio about myself, I took answers from the students.... this was the best part. :) 

As I called on students, I received these responses:

"I like your hair!!!"

Student: "Miss Short, what is your real name?"
Me: "Natalie"
Students: "Aw that is such a cute name." 

"I really like bacon. Do you?"

"Are you going to teach us? I hope so!"

"I think you are going to do great!"

"You live in the Grand Canyon?!"

Later on, I walked with my class to their art special and had a meeting with my mentor. Talking to this woman made me so excited to work in her classroom. Not only is she so professional and a great teacher, she is willing to help me become the best teacher I can be. She offered me lessons to teach in her classroom, and the opportunity to make my own lessons up for the students. You don't realize what a hard transition it is from observing and helping students, to actually being in charge of content of 30 students. Of course I get a tad nervous with the great responsibility, but this is the time to learn. :) I am so grateful!! 

And onto the next pracitcum...


Friday, I began my resource placement in an elementary school. 

A little insight before I share this experience.... Each time I am given a placement by my TED and the district, I look up the ratings and other information about the school I will be working with. (Sometimes I wish I wouldn't so it would be a surprise...but it's in my nature to research schools). As I looked at the rankings, I was shocked how low this school scored. The school only ranked two stars. I have worked at some pretty tough schools, with low-income families, but some of the comments I saw, I was shocked. 

I kept the negative comments out of my head, and showed up to the school ready to help the students. As I interacted in the classroom with the students who came in and out all day, I discovered some interesting facts about the school. One student mentioned that they kept receiving new students in their classroom. My mentor asked how many students they had in their class now... (I was assuming about 30-32)... The student responds with 55. At that moment, I don't think I hid the look on my face very well. Of course I thought the student was exaggerating, but then I asked my mentor if she was serious, and unfortunately she was. 

It took everything in me to be okay with that. Fifty-five students in a fourth grade classroom?! Are you kidding me?! Grant it they do have two teachers in the classroom...but still! It blows my mind that schools would think this is okay. The ratings of the schools fled back into my head, and it all started to make sense to me why this school was lacking. It breaks my heart for those kids. Elementary school is where they receive the foundation of all their learning... (If you couldn't tell I'm a "little" bit passionate about education) 

I asked my mentor how many students he had on his caseload, he responded with 40... That means 40 IEPs, at least 40+ meetings, and over 40 IEP goals he has to help his students achieve. Not a simple task for just one teacher if you ask me. 

I am not a baby, I know teaching is difficult, especially being a SPED teacher...even when some think it is one of the easiest professions out there. But we need to help our schools out!!! Having one resource teacher for 40 students is crazy! Students in this program need special attention, but aren't receiving it! 

As hard as it is to accept the facts of what is occurring at this school, I have to look at this experience as something I can learn from. But mostly, I need to be there for those students who walk into the classroom. Most teachers do not desire to work in tough schools...but the more I get involved in them, I realize the importance of the role of a teacher. Teachers are needed by the students, and as teachers we should want to be needed. Yes, working in fancy schools is fantastic...but there is a sense of students not clinging to you. I almost feel that your role is so much higher when you work at a low-income school. Not only are you a teacher; you are a mentor, supporter, and a light to the kids. 


In the end it is always worth it. <3 


No comments:

Post a Comment