Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunshiny in Natalieville



This week I was blessed with beautiful weather to soak into my skin, in the month of January! The perks of being an Arizonian is that we have 70 degree weather in January {It's BEAUTIFUL}. 

This week I kept counting my blessings, that I couldn't just choose one to reflect upon.

Five Highlights of this week:


{Rest}
Being a college student and working for a college means I was given the day off for MLK day. Such a needed day of rest and spending time with my friends and family. I was able to spend some quality time with the Lord. I hate to say that being busy sometimes distracts me for Christ, but unfortunately it does. I was reminded how great I feel with I spend my "Jesus time". 


{Learning}
My practicum experiences are going splendid this semester. I am finding a lot more time to actually talk to my mentors during the time I am spending in class and I am growing more than ever as a future educator with all their advice. I am constantly worried that I am not going to be as of a successful teacher as I want to be, but working with these kids I realize it is not so much about being successful. It's about being there for them, emotionally and physically, and I at least  know that I can be there for them as a support system. 

Practicum Highlight: This week I was able to go to my student's art special with them. As I followed them into the class, the kids asked, "Miss Short, are you staying for art?!". I replied that I was, and within seconds I had students cheering with big grins on their faces. Something so little to me, was so BIG to them. I love being needed by kiddos. 


{Friendship}
This week I was reminded how blessed I am to have wonderful friendships. This year has been crazy busy with everything I am involved in, which leaves me for little time to hang out with everyone I adore. I finally had time to get together with some gems to just have life talks. These are my favorite! I live for deep conversations that really make you ponder yourself and life. I was reminded that I am so lucky to walk along the side of these people,  and share laughs, support, and memories together. 

{Great Experience}
My school is great! I was able to go to our basketball game with my family and get to see Duck Dynasty's star, Willie Robertson. Not only did he pray before the game, he gave such a wonderful speech at the end of the game about success and how is relationship with Christ reflects his actions. For a famous guy, he is SO real and SO humble. 


{Be a Blessing}
Sunday, my friends and I were about to leave for church, like we do most Sundays. As we met in the lobby, there was a guy sitting alone in the lobby. We were about to leave when he asked if we were going to church. We responded with yes, are you? He explained that he was supposed to but his friend wasn't answering his phone calls or text messages, and he didn't have a car. We offered for him to go with us. Of course, when things happen like this, there is a sense of awkwardness because you are letting a complete stranger into your life. However, this given moment I realized how wonderful and caring my friends truly are. Not many people are willing to go out of their way for a stranger to make them feel welcome, and be intentional with them, but my friends demonstrated such an act of kindness . Normally when we go to church we all get lunch together... I wasn't sure if that was still part of our plan with having an additional guest, but eventually we decided that we were going to continue with our routine with our new friend we made. The guy was so grateful and enjoyed the day with us, it was amazing. It was such a great feeling to make someone's day, especially a stranger. 


Hope you all have a great week! Count your blessings. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment