Sunday, September 29, 2013

Miss Short's Teaching Extravaganza


I am currently in the process of becoming a teacher, with just less than a year of school left. I am majoring in elementary and special education. I am so grateful for wonderful mentors that I have worked along the side with in my practicum placements. They have influenced my teaching methods, and prepared me for my future classroom. This part of my blog will be about my adventures as student-teacher, and eventually as a "real" teacher. Which will include experiences I've learned through, lesson ideas, and some crazy things students have said.

Why Teaching?
Nope, it's not the summers off that influenced me to become a teacher. Honestly  I have many silly reasons why I want to teach. Here are just ten silly reasons why I want to teach:

1.) I get to use stationary items everyday!! I'm all about that paper, pen, and sticky note life.
2.) I get to read children's books. ( I love pictures)
3.) I get to hang out with kids all day! (Adults stink)
4.) I have a playground at work....Never know when I might want to swings away my worries.
5.) I can do arts and craft projects everyday.(There's no reason to explain why this is great, it just is!)
6.) There's always something new to do!
7.) I love calendars/scheduling...lessons plans are just another form of calendars :)
8.) It gives me a reason to keep up to date with the Disney channel.
9.) I am able to decorate bulletin boards. (It brings out  interior designer in me)
10.) Miss Short has a good ring to it...

Now those are just the silly reasons...time to get serious. Ever since I was a little girl I have been interested in teaching. I used to come home from school and run to my playhouse to teach my stuff animals what I learned that day. It wasn't until I was in ninth grade that I really thought about a career for myself. My ninth grade year I took a class called teens-n-teaching. The class was designed to give you a sense for teaching in a casual way. We were responsible to make a lesson plan each week and go over to the elementary school next door to teach a life lesson, such as sharing to the third graders. When I noticed how much I loved the feeling of making a difference in the students' lives I realized this is exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Not to mention I had an awesome teacher who encouraged me that it was the right field for me.

Years later I have changed around my focus to different grade levels and options. I was set getting a degree in early childhood, but then years later my heart decided I needed to do elementary and special education. I am beyond thrilled with my major decision. However, it hasn't always been easy. Transferring from a community college to a university, and adding to my major has increased the amount of years of schooling. I am so anxious to get started and have my own classroom. Teaching is soooooo rewarding!! I look forward to enriching student's education and be to be a positive influence in their lives.


Miss Short Dances

My teaching experience has began as a dance teacher. Even though both titles have "Miss" in front of my name, teaching dance is much different than teaching education. Being a dance teacher is beyond fun! I am able to share my passion for the art with my students. Yes, there are no state standards to follow when I teach dance, however there is a technique   and a history behind dancing. I am a strong believer in the arts, and how they can be an outlet for students. It is a great way for students, and even adults to express themselves. Being a dance instructor is by far one of the best jobs I have ever had. 

_________________________________________________________________________________
October 4, 2013

I am currently working in two different schools in the Alhambra school district for my practicum. I am focusing on social studies and language arts methods in a fourth and fifth grade classroom. This is much different than I'm used because the area I'm around is definitely tough neighborhood than I'm used to. This is also the first time in a while where I wasn't observing students with disabilities. However, students with special needs are in every classroom whether or not it's noticeable with the naked eye.

God Puts You Where You Need to Be

Recently I have been having doubts about becoming a special education teacher. (I am being vulnerable with you...) I know I understand what students need when they have special accommodations, but at times I feel like I may fail them, or not be successful. It's hard to remain confident in my degree choice when people I am surrounded by make comments, such as "You must be very patient to work with those type of kids." Or knowing educators that have worked with students with special needs tell horror stories about their experiences. 

Luckily, I have never been the type to be influenced by others opinions. I have always been headstrong and devoted to getting to my goals, along with proving people wrong. Of course in the back of my mind I prepare myself for failure... I'm a realistic thinker. 

God always knows what I need in my life to keep me going, and this past week I experienced his reassurance that I am taking the correct path. 

In my fourth grade classroom that I am observing, I have a student who is autistic and receives an assistant for most of the school day. This past week the assistant had to leave early, and when she left the student began to break out in a tantrum. He was screaming, crying, and throwing things...everyone was avoiding him, and my mentor was trying to get him and the rest of the class to their art special. My mentor dropped him off at art, while he was still throwing a tantrum. 

As I watched how the other students were reacting to his actions, I noticed they were scared. I found an empty seat and sat next to him. Yes, I was quite scared that he might lash out and hit me, or that I might make the tantrum worse. As I began to sit down, he looked up and stared at me with confusion. I then started to ask him what was wrong, and all he sudden his tears began to stop and he talked through his feelings and I was able to get him to start on his art project. A few minutes later he was ready to learn and was in a better mood. This just goes to show you should never give up on anyone, especially students. Yes, it took a lot of patience and more time, but the end result was so worth it. All the student needed was someone to listen to him. 

God showed me to that I am capable of working with students with special needs. I know that not every situation is going to work out smoothly, and I am not going to know all the answers. But knowing in my heart I am trying my best to make a difference is all that matters. God is good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment